What is your View of God?
"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Joshua 1:8
Have you ever gotten to know someone and later realized that your first impression of him or her was completely wrong? We all have a tendency to form opinions based on subtle cues, knowledge and even our own perceptions. When our impressions are 180 degrees off base, they become a real barrier in building an authentic relationship with someone.
Much in the same way, many of us have constructed an image of God that’s based on our feelings rather than on who God really is. In doing so, we constrain God to characteristics and proportions that make sense to us … personality traits that we’re familiar with. Essentially, we completely limit the very essence of who God is!
Consider this cause / effect relationship:
· If you see God as an overzealous policeman, you’ll always walk on eggshells.
· If you see God as an angry judge, you’ll always struggle with guilt.
· If you believe God is just like us, you’ll be casual about your sin.
· If you see God as distant and uninvolved, you’ll never pursue an intimate relationship with Him.
What you think about God shapes your whole relationship with Him. In addition, what you believe God thinks about you determines how close you will grow toward him.
You were created for closeness, purpose, love and friendship with your Creator. Are you experiencing that? If you’re not sure, ask yourself these questions:
· Do you feel like you never measure up?
· Do you sense that God is “down on you?”
· Do you fear that God is waiting for you to mess up so he can discipline you?
· Do you find it difficult to pray?
· Does the thought that God delights in you seem foreign?
· Do you secretly struggle with obeying God because you fear missing out on the fun in life by completely surrendering to Him?
Your answers to these questions reveal a lot about who you believe God is. You see – God cares a great deal about what we think of Him. He longs for us to see him as He really is and know him on a deeply personal level.
I invite you to take out your wallet-sized, crinkled snapshot of God and trade it in for an entirely new perspective. Doing so will change the way you pray, the way you live, and the way you think about the world around you.
How can this happen you ask? By being in the Word of God on a daily basis. When you study God's Word and meditate on it - God will reveal Himself to you as He really is. The only tools you need is your mind, Bible and the discipline to dig into God's Word for yourself. Approach the Word of God believing that He will reveal Himself to you based on where you are in your relationship with Him.
Humor me and begin this inspiring task today! Keep a time line of daily God moments and never be afraid to share with someone what God has said to you. What joy will be yours.